Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Sat 16 Mar 2024 - 16:15

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 14:20

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:07

» New Member Hello to all
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Scotland.....where and how best to do it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SandJ

Scotland.....where and how best to do it? 25010
SandJ

Scotland.....where and how best to do it? Empty
PostSubject: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 9:18

We are thinking of travelling to Scotland in a month or so how long yet to be decided or is it off to France? we have seen the 500 route mentioned by many as well as visiting the islands. So we thought would it be a good idea for a Scotland do and don't do, a how and how not to, a must visit and places to avoid. This would help all members who may at some point be thinking the same!
So what are your thoughts?
I know Polly has even dared to go on her own what is the advice for another single traveller?
Jan and Steve
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 11:56

We have toured Scotland many times over the 2 weeks easter (school) hols. Before the 500 was thought up by some Tourist Office marketing person the route was very quiet at this time of year - though we didn't follow the published route exactly. Last time we went (2 years ago) we noticed many more motorhomes touring the area, which can be interesting when you meet one on the single track roads. We have seen snow down at low levels in april but they seem to clear the roads better than down south. The midges do not usually appear until june, so May might be a better month for weather. The North West above Fort William is our favorite coastline as well North coast for scenery and abundance of beautiful Wild camping spots. Top North East corner not that attractive.
We have toured Mull and Skye many times, again seem to be more popular with motorhomes nowadays. Not done outer Hebrides but I think Polly or Ken could advise. 
Durness worth a visit and a trip out to Cape Wrath on the mini bus.
Applecross used to be our favorite but again its got very busy recently. There are so many little villages on the coast up north worth seeing and not forgetting the many inland lochs to see . Lochinver, Loch Maree and Poolewe area worth seeing. Too many to list really - depends what your interests are.
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 12:02

To tour the 500 route would need 2 weeks to appreciate it all, and add on the time taken to get up to Inverness from Yorkshire and back. Cant go up this year  - Kim having an Op. on her foot so not mobile at easter. Let me know if you want any more details Jan and Steve.

Steve and Kim
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 14:17

Thanks Steve is there anywhere you would advise to avoid considering our size and Lhd? Applecross ive seen and they say go anti clockwise if large
Back to top Go down
Polly

Scotland.....where and how best to do it? 500010
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 16:25

Hia

I did Hebredes Harris etc with Rob but we had awful weather and came back early.

I did the east side as up to Inverness and then carried on up to meet ken and adele for Orkney. Coming back I came down east side to Inverness then did barmoral area and down to meet up at Lurches near St Andrews foe mx meet.
You can overnight at Baloral carpark there are bays on the coach car park.
Last year I went up the middle then straight up for Orkney and Shetland

Now this year I am planning on Sept to go up tosweetheart abbey then up to Oban for ferry to Mull, then back over to go up to Inverness and up into the highlands. Then depending might venture over to Orkney. Then back own the east side

But early days
Planning in progress.
My van is only 6 mt long so fits into spaces

The Harbour carpark are bit small for w/c for you I think
Stonehaven and Aberdeen prom on the road w/c
Banff Harbour w/c
Near Inverness Rogue Falls car park w/c
Helmsdale Harbour w/c
? Harbour ( will find its name) w/c
Castle Sinclair up near wick BIG car park and small ruin castle to look around with/c
Will get my blog book out .
But as you may have gathered mine is mostly East side

Back to top Go down
Polly

Polly

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 16:29

Hia
Steve are you on Scottish motorhome wildcampers on Facebook
They helped me a lot
Back to top Go down
Polly

Polly

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 16:32

Hia

Also the Kelpies overnight first carparkfree. If you go on the main carpark you might get the boy racers in the evening but there no trouble, so the overspill car ok. Also Falkirk wheel but think it is £15 p/n now it you have elsan and showers and the key to the shower unlocks the main gate so you could stay there and later on go to the Kelpies to see them lit up then go back to the wheel letting yourself back in , but check that out
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 16:51

Hi Polly yes we are members and see a lot of posts but some exaggerate and others don’t realise the size as it is width as well. Thanks for the info and anything else you add as said it’s better from someone you know
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 16:54

The only problem I foresee going down the Bealach na Ba ( anticlockwise) is your brakes overheating befOre you reac sea level. New van with plenty PoWer I would gO up.
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 18:34

madeinyorkshire wrote:
The only problem I foresee going down the Bealach na Ba ( anticlockwise) is your brakes overheating befOre you reac sea level. New van with plenty PoWer I would gO up.
Cheers Steve sadly my engine is only 2300 not much power for such a big beast I will have a look cheers Steve

Just copied this from Wikipedia lol

The Bealach, as it is known for short, is unsuitable for learner drivers, large vehicles and motorhomes. Please use caution while travelling up and down the Bealach. The route is often impassible in winter.

Now I know Motorhomes use it but is their signs advising not to I wonder? If so how would your insurance react to a claim? I had a small section like that in the Peak District 2weeks ago lol
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 18:50

We have seen bigger `vans than our up there and once met the Brewery lorry on its way back from restocking the pub in Applecross. Have a look on Google Earth and decide. Don't be put off by the single track roads way up north . The "A" and "B" roads have very frequent passing places, and if you meet cars between they tend to give way to bigger vans and reverse so you dont need to. So with a van of your size I would  avoid unclassified roads especially those ending at the coast ( usually at a beautiful white sandy beach) !! Smile
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri 2 Feb 2018 - 19:01

madeinyorkshire wrote:
We have seen bigger `vans than our up there and once met the Brewery lorry on its way back from restocking the pub in Applecross. Have a look on Google Earth and decide. Don't be put off by the single track roads way up north . The "A" and "B" roads have very frequent passing places, and if you meet cars between they tend to give way to bigger vans and reverse so you dont need to. So with a van of your size I would  avoid unclassified roads especially those ending at the coast ( usually at a beautiful white sandy beach) !! Smile
Passing place are fine Steve it's the unknown roads with a dead end and unable to turn around and steep as to lack of power. As long as I can chec out on google then all fine
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeSun 4 Feb 2018 - 11:18

Have you decided Scotland or France yet Steve + Jan ?
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeSun 4 Feb 2018 - 12:17

Steve (and Jan)
I did Scotland twice with the Hymer (once with Polly and again going over to the Orkneys. Left hooker and most probably same width as yours although mine was 5.99 long. I found it a hairy drive on both occasions (got my offside mirror demolished on Skye with a mini-coach) .On the Orkney run i went up via the East coast which was a good run stopping at Kelpies,Fortrose,Helmsedale but on the return i came down the A82 via Fort William and did not enjoy that route (too many bends). I think no matter how careful you drive it avoiding the other idiots (white van ,coaches ,lorries to name a few) is the main problem and the so called 500 route is hammered with the forum hoards (using wildcamping poi's) and rented vans .Also if you  do it don't get caught out on the little bridges over streams where the road narrows . For me it would be France and after watching the celeb's go Barging in France think a trip down the Lot could be on for me this year.
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeSun 4 Feb 2018 - 13:16

madeinyorkshire wrote:
Have you decided Scotland or France yet Steve + Jan ?
Not yet Steve
The daughter is expecting and due in 2 weeks so obviously waiting for the birth, then obviously Jan (and me lol) would want to be around for a while. At the moment it is 50/50 with France and the rest as we have only ever been able to do 2 week stints in the past.
Back to top Go down
SandJ

SandJ

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitimeSun 4 Feb 2018 - 13:24

rebbyvid wrote:
Steve (and Jan)
I did Scotland twice with the Hymer (once with Polly and again going over to the Orkneys. Left hooker and most probably same width as yours although mine was 5.99 long. I found it a hairy drive on both occasions (got my offside mirror demolished on Skye with a mini-coach) .On the Orkney run i went up via the East coast which was a good run stopping at Kelpies,Fortrose,Helmsedale but on the return i came down the A82 via Fort William and did not enjoy that route (too many bends). I think no matter how careful you drive it avoiding the other idiots (white van ,coaches ,lorries to name a few) is the main problem and the so called 500 route is hammered with the forum hoards (using wildcamping poi's) and rented vans .Also if you  do it don't get caught out on the little bridges over streams where the road narrows . For me it would be France and after watching the celeb's go Barging in France think a trip down the Lot could be on for me this year.
Always mindfull of the idiots that drive too fast for the roads, the Lhd has never bothered me before my concerns are i get vertigo now and again and dubious of whether it will crop up. Been to Fort william in the Hymer B544 which was slightly slimmer. We always rushed when we went to France due to only having 2 weeks and enjoyed the last time as we never travelled far and took our time at each spot. Decisions, decisions lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotland.....where and how best to do it?   Scotland.....where and how best to do it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotland.....where and how best to do it?
Page 1 of 1