Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Yesterday at 16:29

» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 16:34

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Garjanco Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 14:48

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» New Member Hello to all
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Re-fillable gas bottles

Go down 
+8
Leapy
The Burchies
mike 100
Eaglewings
lancepar
laneside
whistlinggypsy
KSH
12 posters
AuthorMessage
KSH

Re-fillable gas bottles 600010
KSH

Re-fillable gas bottles Empty
PostSubject: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Jul 2013 - 19:56

Bob, Pete and Baza.
This is the bottle I was telling you about the other day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Probably work out cheaper than gaslow by the time you have bought fitting kits and pipes, lot easier to transfer to a new van as well. Doesn't mention filling 2 bottles at once though, or even using 2 bottles

Last edited by KSH on Sat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.kenhacking.co.uk
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 21:42

I didn't know gaslow now have a direct fill bottle

whistlinggypsy

Re-fillable gas bottles 400010
whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 21:48

KSH wrote:
I didn't know gaslow now have a direct fill bottle
Ken, they have always been direct fill, that link is for filling the bottle at places Gaslow have nominated/registered or whatever you call it Rolling Eyes
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But they do now have a filter to stop the nasty stuff breaking down your hoses.Very Happy

Reading the link again you will never be allowed to refill a bottle the way they show in the link anywhere in France and suspect any where in the EU.
Back to top Go down
laneside

Re-fillable gas bottles 25010
laneside

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 21:55

Did you manage to find a tee piece Ken?
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:02

Are you clicking the where to fill link on that page Bob? it doesn't work, should take you to THIS PAGE
If you open my original link it says "All of our Direct fill cylinders come complete with the Direct Fill Valve Adapter to enable easy connection to the UK bayonet LPG pump nozzle" and if you look on the left hand side there is a picture of one being filled, have they always sold this? I know you could get the bits to fill bottles, even ordinary bottles but I didn't like the thought of doing that

Last edited by KSH on Sat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.kenhacking.co.uk
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:03

laneside wrote:
Did you manage to find a tee piece Ken?
Yes Alan, once I found what thread they were, they are a common part easily obtainable Very Happy 

KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:13

I dare say a lot of garages in the UK would have something to say, looks like Gaslow have come to an agreement with the places shown in their map.
If businesses can fill gas bottles for FLT's why cant we?
We have a system at work to fill ours (pity it's a different fitting to mine though Very Happy ) they don't even have the 80% cut off valve fitted, you have to lie the bottle down, it has an arrow on it to show which way round it has to sit, there's a small purge valve, you have to open that, connect an earth lead to the bottle, then fill it till the gas starts coming out of the purge valve, close the valve then disconnect the filler. Now when you see this being done, and the cloud of gas that appears, this doesn't seem safe at all, it's a brand new system and new bottles that has just been installed.

KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 2 Nov 2013 - 22:17

The purge valve isn't quite at the top of the bottle, so I would guess this is still filling the bottles to 80%, but I think the Gaslow bottles with the cut off valve must be a safer idea

lancepar

lancepar

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov 2013 - 15:19

Don't forget there are two delivery systems from a LPG cylinder/tank, vapour and liquid. Internal combustion engines  require liquid, hence the pick up pipe is in the liguid gas at the bottom and devices that require vapour like a cooker/fridge, the pick up is in the area where no liquid is present at the top of the container.
Don't all cylinders/tanks require space at the top for expansion?

And as far as I know Safefil cylinders use the same in and out nozzle so to refill they have to be disconnected from the pipework. 

Cool
Back to top Go down
Eaglewings

Re-fillable gas bottles 10010
Eaglewings

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 0:12

Hi after speaking with a few of you at Donnington Ken shuggy, leapy....regarding Gaslow we are now thinking if having the system fitted... We picked up a leaflet today at Towtal in Stoke... Being new to the theory of it, each page seemed contradictory the Refil and new direct fill .... We can get two 11 bottles in our van can anyone enlighten us on which way to go from scratch... Or is this safefil better ? Don't want to make an expensive mistake as it has to last!! Would appreciate your comments as thinking of France next year ... Cheers
Back to top Go down
laneside

laneside

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 8:46

We went the Gaslow route and have no regrets, my only advice would be to try to make sure you get a system fitted where the filler is outside of the gas locker as some filling stations are a bit fussy if they see you open the locker door. If you plan doing England, Spain,Portugal then you also need to budget for different adapters as we have come across all three types in the last four months.

There are other systems similar to Gaslow but if you need any more info. or pictures of the Gaslow in use just ask away.
Back to top Go down
mike 100

Re-fillable gas bottles 100010
mike 100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 9:03

we used GAS IT  bottles look just like gaslow but cheaper easy to fit saved loads since buying them   we fitted     1  6kg   1 11kg  all pipes fit for Europe all brand new £345
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 9:14

Another place to  look at is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I think the new direct fill bottles are a good idea but like Alan said you might have problems filling them at some places, Gaslow do have a map on their website of where you can fill them.
Do you need 2 refillable bottles? Could you manage with one and a normal bottle as a spare, you can still connect these together with a change over valve, you just can't refil them. All things to think about
They will pay for their self in the long run, I save approx ÂŁ14 a bottle on every fill, and that's only working on 6kg bottles, I bet the saving is greater on 11kg but we can't fit them in our locker

whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 9:46

We also went the Gaslow route and do not regret the additional cost against other suppliers because of the excellent after sales and warranty that Gaslow give their customers.

Which ever route/supplier you do use insist on stainless pipes and that the filler inlet is on the outside of the m/h and not in the locker.

GPL/LPG is very accessible in the UK, France, Germany, Portugal and most european countries and even Spain is now getting their act together and it is more easily found than even a couple of years ago.

There is loads of info on the web giving details of where you can fill and if you put a POI in your Sat Nav you will find them even easier to locate.
Back to top Go down
Eaglewings

Eaglewings

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 12:58

Thanks to everyone for your input....the dealer where we had the reversing senors fitted yesterday. Looked at the van and suggested to free up the gas locker we could have a tank fir LPG underneath the van which would give us approx 3 times more cheaper gas capacity. It's about ÂŁ750 to have fitted and it would be refillable via exteriror inlet as Pete suggested. Again feedback would be appreviated
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

Re-fillable gas bottles 300010
The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 13:09

Our Hymer has 100 litre underslung tank, which when full will easily last us the whole year, but you must remember the weight for your payload.
We have nearly 4.7 Tonnes chassis, I would get some good advice on this before you take the plunge but it beats having to keep filling the cylinders up  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
laneside

laneside

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 13:21

One word of caution with under slung tanks

Make sure who ever fits it use sensible straps as some use mild steel ones that rust too quickly with not nice effect
Back to top Go down
mike 100

mike 100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:18

I would of  loved a underslung tank but our van to low it site on the tarmac like a slug tried every where no go  I would pm cls and talk to mark first great guy
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:20

I think they usually mount them inside the chassis Mick

mike 100

mike 100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:25

KSH wrote:
I think they usually mount them inside the chassis Mick
alko to low could not get 150 mm clearance on our van and has double floor all round we had to have air ride fitted to get on and off ferrys we tried all the big company on webb shows no one could fit for us
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 19:28

Ah, I see

Eaglewings

Eaglewings

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2013 - 23:29

Thanks again everyone for answering this thread ... Think we may go for the under van tank the dealer measured we are ok for clearance it would be fitted higher than the axle. We will ensure good fittings that won't rust thanks for that.... We checked how it would affect pay load and we should be fine.... We never over load or pack anyway. We have a bike rack but don't always carry them. Looks a job for the new year. Tecno PM us he has one too and advised same... Keep an eye on payload. Sensibility is called for . Thanks all :-))
Back to top Go down
Leapy

Re-fillable gas bottles Modera12
Leapy

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 18 Dec 2013 - 7:25

Glad you are sorted Marie
Back to top Go down
debbie

Re-fillable gas bottles 50010
debbie

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014 - 14:40

I have just finished fitting two gas-it 6kg bottles into my van. Space was a real problem in the gas cupboard, and I tried a few different ways of getting the pipes in without serious bends in the pipes. I fitted the filler into the cupboard door,as I didn't like the idea of opening the door to fill up, a practice, which I believe is much frowned upon.
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014 - 14:54

debbielectric wrote:
I have just finished fitting two gas-it 6kg bottles into my van. Space was a real problem in the gas cupboard, and I tried a few different ways of getting the pipes in without serious bends in the pipes. I fitted the filler into the cupboard door,as I didn't like the idea of opening the door to fill up, a practice, which I believe is much frowned upon.

That should make things better for you now!.
Back to top Go down
Tugga

Re-fillable gas bottles 75010
Tugga

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014 - 22:47

Can you all explain why the filler inside the cupboard is frowned upon please as ours is inside our gas locker.  We couldn't see a way of fitting it on the outside because the locker is sealed.

Thanks in advance all.
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 7:24

Tugga wrote:
Can you all explain why the filler inside the cupboard is frowned upon please as ours is inside our gas locker.  We couldn't see a way of fitting it on the outside because the locker is sealed.

Thanks in advance all.

Have a look at this Cheryl.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 7:42

Back to top Go down
Tugga

Tugga

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 13:01

Thanks for the attachment Mark.  We don't fill our bottles directly, we do it via a fill point at the bottom of the locker just inside the door.  I presume then, that we are ok or is it best not to presume anything  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 13:32

If they see you opening the locker they might think you are filling a normal bottle and not turn the pump on for you

Tugga

Tugga

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 21:10

Thanks for the tip Ken, I will have to stand and block the view then  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014 - 21:35

Hi Cheryl, we refilled in Seville and the lady told us she would not refill if the filler was internal, it was not their policy but a bylaw that states all fillers must be external for all vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Tugga

Tugga

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Jan 2014 - 20:18

Thanks Bob, will pass your comment onto Mick.
Back to top Go down
debbie

debbie

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014 - 9:51

My gas-its, was able to put filler in door with a careful bit of measuring. Took door off to make the holes, much easier.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
Back to top Go down
mike 100

mike 100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 15:49

that's a cracking job well done
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 16:49

Looks like this will be how it's going to be converted in the furure.
Also I think you can have this external filler fitted
as an aftermarket option as my previous link suggests.
Back to top Go down
debbie

debbie

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 19:11

Thanks Mike, sure beats paying calor prices, and no more lugging heavy bottles, and the convenience of filling up at the forecourt.
Back to top Go down
mike 100

mike 100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 19:21

debbielectric wrote:
Thanks Mike, sure beats paying calor prices, and no more lugging heavy bottles, and the convenience of filling up at the forecourt.

we fitted our 2 years ago brill don't mind pam having heating on now all night so cheap don't go to calor stations they wont let ya fill
up .happy hot camping
Back to top Go down
Polly

Re-fillable gas bottles 500010
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:02

Hia

Ummmmmm is this the way forward?

What cost would I be looking at ?

I have 2x6 gas bootlegs and it's a tight squeeze
Are the LPG bottles bigger

But suppose once there in there in
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:37

true Polly if you can them in thats it, just make sure the pipes are not bent too severe to fit properly, if you can get SS ones.
Back to top Go down
Techno100

Techno100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:56

If you can fit two calor then you can fit two Gaslow or Gasit.
Back to top Go down
Techno100

Techno100

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 18:01

My Rapido came with an underslung but it was seriously badly fitted from new. I've put off sorting it out until late last year.
I made my own frame and I believe my install is better than any currently available dealer fit.
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 18:08

Very similar set up to mine Andy.
Back to top Go down
Polly

Re-fillable gas bottles 500010
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Jan 2015 - 19:21

Hia

That's big it looks like a torpedo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-fillable gas bottles   Re-fillable gas bottles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-fillable gas bottles
Page 1 of 1