Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Today at 8:24

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 14:20

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:07

» New Member Hello to all
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?

Go down 
+4
motorcaravan
vat man
Tosan
Lord Lucan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Lucan

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 10010
Lord Lucan

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? Empty
PostSubject: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 9:51

Are there any out there that stop the condensation on the windscreen every morning?

Are yours electric/non electric...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rmgas.moonfruit.com
Tosan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 9:58

Just bought a small one !
Only put in it MH yesterday so will let you know how it works
Back to top Go down
vat man

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 100010
vat man

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 10:18

we use one from aldi for last to year bag of crystal stand over container grid very good works well have used electric ones at work i would think these to powerfull for van could dry up fabric of van to much causeing other problens just appion
Back to top Go down
motorcaravan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 10:27

Hi,

We don't get any as we use the external silver screens, also its worth noting that there were suggestions a few years ago that if you allow condensation to accumulate on the front window it can drain down behind the dash and start to rust the bulkhead metal.

As I said at the start we used to get it a lot until we changed from internal screens/curtains to outside sliver screens which virchally stop it completely
Back to top Go down
Lord Lucan

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 10010
Lord Lucan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 10:36

Thanks for that... never thought of external screens.

I've got some internal ones... but always dripping wet in the mornings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rmgas.moonfruit.com
The Burchies

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 300010
The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 10:52

vat man wrote:
we use one from aldi for last to year bag of crystal stand over container grid very good works well have used electric ones at work i would think these to powerfull for van could dry up fabric of van to much causeing other problens just appion

We use the crystals in the front and they do the job without taking any valuable space up, unfortunately unless you keep the cockpit area well ventilated you will never completely get rid of it Sad
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
motorcaravan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 12:00

Hi,

To try to explain the reasons as simply as possible, if you can imagine that as you breath out you expel an amount of water, and this is held as a vapour in the relatively warm air that surrounds it, and as the air floats about staying warm there is no problem.

However if that air, that is relatively warm starts to get cold the water vapour turns to real water, which we see and call condensation, as you know when you wipe it up its real water.

So what can you do ? keep the air warm and keep it moving ? easy isn't it, so lots of heat and plenty of ventilation, problem solved.

Now the real world, obviously the above is correct no question, but can we afford to leave the windows open and the heating on, I doubt it, so what else can we do to try and mitigate the situation.

In normal practice the main areas that we find the problem is when that warm moist air with the water vapour in it hits a cold surface, that can be a window , wall and will be noticed as good old condensation e.g. wet even running water.

However another more sinister problem is the Black mold growth which is normally found under the mattress, back of cupboards, back of Wardrobes again caused by the good old condensation.

All of the above will and do form anywhere that is colder than the air itself, and all of the places I have listed and some that I haven't need checking, as while the windows are the obvious problem in this thread the others are perhaps more serious and can lead to breathing problems

Now what can be done, as stated above heat and ventilation is so important and must be the priority ,

However the relatively simple solution for the window situation is to keep the window GLASS as warm as possible and that can only be done externally, you cannot keep the GLASS warm by hiding if from the condensation e.g. putting a cover/curtain etc over it, the warm moist air with the water vapour will just pass through or around those objects and then condensate out on the cold GLASS

The mold growth in the cupboards wardrobes under the mattress they need ventilation e.g. get the mattress up off the flat board to get some air movement under it. make sure the items in the cupboards cloths etc have enough space around them for the movement of air, and make sure any air vents in the van are clear and clean.

If you have a extract fan run it when ever you are boiling/heating water having a shower etc. if you don't have a fan and you are having a shower washing etc keep the door closed on the room compartment your in and when you can open the window to expel the steam moist air, as any moisture from washing etc will stay in the van unless you ventilate it

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 400010
whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 12:02

I also use an external silver screen but nothing on the side windows as they are double glazed, when I do not put the screen on the condensation is horrendous and with such a large dashboard is hell too dry up.
Back to top Go down
motorcaravan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 14:39

motorcaravan wrote:
Hi,

The RED type is just to try and make my suggestions etc. a bit clearer hope it helps

To try to explain the reasons as simply as possible, if you can imagine that as you breath out you expel an amount of water, and this is held as a vapour in the relatively warm air that surrounds it, and as the air floats about staying warm there is no problem.

However if that air, that is relatively warm starts to get cold the water vapour turns to real water, which we see and call condensation, as you know when you wipe it up its real water.

So what can you do ? keep the air warm and keep it moving ? easy isn't it, so lots of heat and plenty of ventilation, problem solved.

Now the real world, obviously the above is correct no question, but can we afford to leave the windows open and the heating on, I doubt it, so what else can we do to try and mitigate the situation.

In normal practice the main areas that we find the problem is when that warm moist air with the water vapour in it hits a cold surface, that can be a window , wall and will be noticed as good old condensation e.g. wet even running water.

However another more sinister problem is the Black mold growth which is normally found under the mattress, back of cupboards, back of Wardrobes again caused by the good old condensation.

All of the above will and do form anywhere that is colder than the air itself, and all of the places I have listed and some that I haven't need checking, as while the windows are the obvious problem in this thread the others are perhaps more serious and can lead to breathing problems

Now what can be done, as stated above heat and ventilation is so important and must be the priority ,

However the relatively simple solution for the window situation is to keep the window GLASS as warm as possible and that can only be done externally, you cannot keep the GLASS warm by hiding if from the condensation e.g. putting a cover/curtain etc over it, the warm moist air with the water vapour will just pass through or around those objects and then condensate out on the cold GLASS. The only way you can help to keep the GLASS warmer, other than by applying heat, is to protect it directly from the cold itself and the only way to do that is to cover it EXTERNALLY with insulation and that is exactly what the Silver screens or Taylor made covers do.

The mold growth in the cupboards wardrobes under the mattress they need ventilation e.g. get the mattress up off the flat board to get some air movement under it. make sure the items in the cupboards cloths etc have enough space around them for the movement of air, and make sure any air vents in the van are clear and clean. Suggestions for the Mattress are fit the bed slats from the likes of IKEA under the mattress or I have heard a good layer of bubble wrap may also help, I'm sure there are other suggestions, as for the cupboards/wardrobes I haven't any really firm suggestions other than to make sure there is a clear air flow and you check and clean it regular if you do see any signs of mold with a mold killer

The warm moist air doesn't just come from you breathing it comes from any use of water in the van especially if you have or use it warm or hot e.g. washing of all types, my suggestion recommendation is, If you have a extract fan run it when ever you are boiling/heating water having a shower etc. if you don't have a fan and you are having a shower washing etc keep the door closed on the room compartment your in and when you can, open the window to expel the steam moist air, as any moisture from washing etc will stay in the van unless you ventilate it, its worth trying to give the van an airing during the day as that moist air will linger around for a long time if possible albeit during the winter that's easier said than done ?

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
KSH

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 600010
KSH

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 15:14

External screens for me too, keeps the condensation off the cab windows. I always have about half a dozen of the traps in the van when in storage, keep all cupboard doors open and its surprising how much water they take out.

vat man

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? 100010
vat man

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 17:29

we use silver screen when on site or rally fields ,but not when wilding ,as can not make quick get away if trouble but never had any .we allso have a cab curtain that goes between seats and window then we have curtain thermal flour to ceiling close of cab total no drafts nice and warm

just brought termal curtain for side door thats this week job as pam thinks drafty its like coffin with all these curtains
Back to top Go down
motorcaravan

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2013 - 14:56

Hi again there is no problem with keeping those damp traps in the vehicle all the time espcially in the hidden areas where damp and mold may be found e.g. bottom under draws etc. the only problem is I have heard some people can be allegic to them so double check I personally get a funny taste in my mouth if i get to close i.e. touch them NOT LICKING THEM LoL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?   Dehumidifier - Which one do you use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dehumidifier - Which one do you use?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Motor-Homers :: Community :: Non Motorhome Related Discussions-
Jump to: