Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Yesterday at 16:29

» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 16:34

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Garjanco Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 14:48

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» New Member Hello to all
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

School Closures because of Snow WHY

Go down 
+2
vat man
The Burchies
6 posters
AuthorMessage

School Closures because of Snow WHY Empty
PostSubject: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 18:11

Hi
I just can't believe how many schools just shut up shop when the snow falls, its unbelievable other business have to open staff have to get to work, you can't just ring up and say its snowing so I'm staying at home.

Some of these schools were reporting they weren't going to open the night before the snow came, do teachers get paid if they don't turn up ?

What do you think

Back to top Go down
The Burchies

School Closures because of Snow WHY 300010
The Burchies

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 18:25

The trouble with snow is that 7 in the morning it might start, the parents may get told don't bring the kids in then it stops snowing 2 hours later.the parents lose a days pay!. On the other hand the kids go to school as usual in the morning, stars snowing heavily all day the roads become treacherous and then there's chaos can't collect kids. Its a no win situation...just a thought School Closures because of Snow WHY 4287546312
Back to top Go down
vat man

School Closures because of Snow WHY 100010
vat man

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 18:35

i had walk to school ever day sun rain snow it was a nightmare i hated it cold wet then got cain for being late how quick did they think i could walk next door [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
paulmold

paulmold

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 19:12

If anyone saw the programme the other night ''the big freeze 1963'' they will know what a hard winter is. If you didn't see it try to catch it on BBC iplayer. This country simply couldn't cope if we ever get a winter like that again.
Back to top Go down
Leapy

School Closures because of Snow WHY Modera12
Leapy

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 19:14

The main issue for head teachers is linked to health and safety- if a child falls over on the ice or snow in the playground or school premises they are sued for negligence - if they fall over at home and are injured its an accident.
Most schools don't have staff to clear all the playgrounds,paths car park etc so it's safer to close the school - even though staff still have to report to work
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 19:28

Hi,

If that's true then the law needs changing, anyway it shouldn't take a lot of work to grit and clear a path from the school gate to the main building and similar between buildings if necessary.

It seems more to do with teachers than the children.

I was listening to the news earlier and there is some suggestion that offsted monitor the attendance levels at schools and the suggestion is that in order to avoid a black mark for perhaps low attendance they close the school, not sure how true that is, but knowing the systems we have I could well believe it.

Do the staff have to report for work ? if the school has declared itself to be closed, and do the staff get paid if the school has declared itself closed and they don't turn up ?

Leapy wrote:
The main issue for head teachers is linked to health and safety- if a child falls over on the ice or snow in the playground or school premises they are sued for negligence - if they fall over at home and are injured its an accident.
Most schools don't have staff to clear all the playgrounds,paths car park etc so it's safer to close the school - even though staff still have to report to work
Back to top Go down
Polly

School Closures because of Snow WHY 500010
Polly

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 20:29

Hia

when I worked at the nursery school we closed a couple of times in 2009/2010 due to weather and heating situation and each time we got paid BUt because we had out laptops we were given work to do

but if we just said on a snowy morning that we were not coming in we probably would not be paid the permission as to come from the head who is suppose to notify her chair of governors and the local council (I think)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 22:27

It amazes me that the Police, Ambulance, Doctors, Nurses, Council workers, Power Station workers, car builders the list goes on and on all have to and do get into work as I have never heard of a Hospital, Police Station, etc etc closing because it snows, but Schools seem to at the first drop ?

Something needs to be done, just imagine if your main district hospital closed and sent all the patients home, or the Police said sorry we can't work today just in case one of our officers falls over we will be sued
Back to top Go down
Leapy

School Closures because of Snow WHY Modera12
Leapy

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 7:54

We have had no postal delivery for 4 days because of the weather and there was no refuse collection either yesterday- so its not just the schools

My neighbour went to work yesterday but was sent home due to health and safety -he couldn't see any holes on the building site due to the snow and it was considered unsafe
Back to top Go down
vat man

vat man

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 8:40

on tv this morning 1 in 6 schools closed for couple days not bad better than some ikdd sliping and hurting them selfs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 9:27

The vast majority of those kids will be out running around in the snow enjoying themselves with probably 10 times the likelihood of slipping and possible hurting themselves, than they would have been in a classroom being taught.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Extract from link above:-
Monday saw hundreds of schools closed. While many children enjoyed sledging, injuries were reported by ambulance services.
Sixteen-year-old Liam Stafford remained critically ill in hospital after hitting a tree while sledging in Normanby, Middlesbrough.
East of England Ambulance Service also issued a warning after it was called out to attend at least a dozen sledging-related injuries, including broken bones or head injuries requiring hospital treatment.

The Ambulance staff were able to work in the snow

Our dustmen are late but they haven't stopped working they are just held up.

And again did your hospital close and send all the patients home because the staff or new patients may hurt themselves getting into the hospital.

Have your Police stopped working because they may fall over in the snow

Teachers want to be treated and paid as the elite in this country and compared with the likes of Police, Doctors etc. they need to act in the same way when things get a little tough they still do the job

vat man wrote:
on tv this morning 1 in 6 schools closed for couple days not bad better than some ikdd sliping and hurting them selfs
Back to top Go down
vat man

vat man

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 10:19

sorry got to disagree with you when your locking after some ones else children total difrent rules.we are not talking about men and women going to work we talking about children most teacher still turn up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 10:34

I think we will have to agree to disagree,
Back to top Go down
vat man

vat man

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 10:47

yes
Back to top Go down
Tugga

School Closures because of Snow WHY 75010
Tugga

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 12:01

Way back when I was at school, schools never closed for snow, no matter how thick it was. We were all expected to turn up and we did. I have to say that we had the best fun in the snow. The best thing we did was make 'slides' (where you run, slide on the snow and eventually turn it into an ice strip). Health & Safety would not allow this to happen nowaday which is such a shame as todays kids miss out on so much.

Yes, I was still at school in 1963 and I remember that winter well. My Dad worked in London and travelled to Stevenage daily, he always got there, allbeit late Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Closures because of Snow WHY   School Closures because of Snow WHY I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School Closures because of Snow WHY
Page 1 of 1