Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Yesterday at 8:24

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 14:20

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:07

» New Member Hello to all
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Wi Fi

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Polly

Wi Fi 500010
Polly

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 19:32

Hia

Come across this wondered what you think
sorry if it as already been covered
do you get internet when away from home on your laptop or i pad
is it safe secure

is it safe at home as it says joe public can use mine as a hot spot

Wi Fi Fon

Fonera SIMPL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thanks
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

Wi Fi 300010
The Burchies

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 19:43

Hi, Polly,

We have used a wifi dongle in the past on a pay as you go scenario...it seemed to work ok for us at the time but this was 2 or 3 years ago now.
We now use wifi hotspots where ever we are. Its a bit of a suck it & see situation.

Wi Fi 754408299
Back to top Go down
Polly

Wi Fi 500010
Polly

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 19:53

Hia

sorry about this but I am not to technical

how do you pick up hot spots I know of McDonalds

other people keep theirs secure and locked

but if I was on a campsite or farmers field how does it work without a dongle
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

Wi Fi 300010
The Burchies

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 20:02

I'm not too technical myself but you have to search out the hotspots ie pubs, garden centres etc...within range.
We are now using 3g (mobile phone technology) using the included data package for our internet Wi Fi 4287546312
Back to top Go down

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 20:40

Hi,

FON is Ok, there is a link with BT in the UK and I believe if you are a BT broadband customer you can agree to become a BTFON user/provider.

Basically this means you become a FON Hotspot, part of your BT wifi system is open for other FON members to use when they are out and about, and equally you can use your FON membership to use other FON hotspots world wide.

Members of the general public can also use your and other FON Hotspots if they want to pay, and I'm not sure what happens to the money ? you will need to check with BT, but a few years ago if you joined FON directly they used to allow the FON provider e.g. you, to keep some of this money, not sure how it works now.

As for using FON when you are out and about, you used to be able to get a Map on-line of the FON Hotspots, however a few years ago this was only located by road/street it didn't give the full address, so wasn't that accurate in the sense that you may need to travel up and down the road to actually locate the Wifi signal, and as you will know if you have ever used Wetherspoons or McDonalds it can be difficult enough finding a signal in a building let alone a road.

I think the general idea behind FON is very good, however the problems I had finding a working Wifi signal while out and about for the reasons stated above, lead me to stop using it.

The Golden Arches (McDonalds) as they are called are probably one of the best Hotspot signs you can find as they can be seen for miles, they are especially useful when travelling in Europe as its free wifi.

Albeit you may need a country specific SIM card as last time we were in Germany to sign in to a McDonalds Wifi it had to send us a code to our mobile and it would only send to a German number, which wasn't a problem for us, but could be if you haven't got a German SIM.

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 20:52

Hi,

Most Hotspots like McDonalds, Wetherspoons. Starbucks, etc. are just known from word of mouth, some Library's council offices, town centre's have Free Wifi that goes for the UK and Europe and probably world wide,

A lot of the Smart Phones will have some means of Wifi detection built in or downloadable Apps your Wifi enabled laptop or notebook will have some form of Wifi detection, which you just need to turn on and scan the area you are in.

More often than not the scan will show you a list of Wifi network connections available nearby, it will generally also show you if that network is open or locked, some that appear open may require further information like Mcdonalds etc when you have connected.

As for being in the middle of a field there are such things as Wifi signal boosters which can improve the signal strength of your laptop which may make a relatively far off FREE Wifi signal accessible to you in the middle of that field.

Here's a link to the sort of thing I'm talking about, there are others, but I have one on theses and it works fine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Polly

Wi Fi 500010
Polly

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 21:09

Hia

my sister said something about putting her phone (with internet) next to her laptop (with no internet) and getting internet through her phone passed over to her laptop
Wi Fi 4287546312 Wi Fi 4287546312
is that possible
Back to top Go down
SandJ

Wi Fi 25010
SandJ

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 21:21

Yes polly it is called Tethering
Do a Google search for Tethering and it should explain
Wi Fi 424776184
Back to top Go down
vat man

Wi Fi 100010
vat man

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 9:20

Hi polly if like me not to good with computers .and this internet acses is for van i went to phone 4 you very help full. New phone samsung with tehtering to tablet also brought mifi dongel from currys 29.99 huewi e586 unblocked.incase my phone signaldoes not work back up plus fof europe .
Back to top Go down

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 9:29

Be very careful of using any UK SIM based internet access when in Europe as the cost can be prohibitively expensive, double and treble check the costs before you go.

Some UK SIM providers do have special European data rate deals but I haven't found one yet that gets anywhere near what I want to pay.

Also remember to switch OFF your Data Roaming ability on your smart phone (if it has one) before you get on the ferry, unless you have organised a cost effective European Data deal with your UK SIM provider before going, as that alone can rack up a significant bill without you even knowing it.

The turning on and off of data roaming even in the UK is worth checking especially if you have a limited data allowance with your mobile plan, as quiet a lot of the Apps access your data allowance without you actually using/pressing them ?

Tethering meaning using your mobile phone to connect to your mobile telpehone service as an internet connection then using that connection as a ?modem e.g. tethered with a USB cable direct to your laptop or tablet, or a Smart phone set to send out a Wifi signal via a App. which your Wifi enabled device e.g Laptop tablet etc connects to.

Before using either method of tethering you need to check that your SIM provider (Mobile Company) allows you to do this on the call plan you have, as most of these companies are specific about the type of internet access you can use with your data allowance (internet GB's)

To try to explain the reasons for these restrictions, it may help to try and understand what the difference is. When using your phone ONLY for internet access it will for most people be a very limited use perhaps just checking a few emails and looking up the odd web site so the download/upload amounts will be relatively small.

However if you allow your laptop etc to connect to the internet via you phone (tethering) the sort of use downloads/uploads will most probably become quiet a lot more than you would if it was just the phone as you will probably use the Laptop for a longer period and surf for longer, that's why a lot of SIM Providers have a restriction on tethering, hope that makes sense.

They also can charge you more money, which also has a significant bearing LOL

You have been warned ?

Last edited by Braunston on Sun 27 Jan 2013 - 9:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Burchies

Wi Fi 300010
The Burchies

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 9:36

Braunston wrote:
Be very careful of using any UK SIM based internet access when in Europe as the cost can be prohibitively expensive, double and treble check the costs before you go.

Some UK SIM providers do have special European data rate deals but I haven't found one yet that gets anywhere near what I want to pay.

Also remember to switch OFF your Data Roaming ability on your smart phone (if it has one) before you get on the ferry, unless you have organised a cost effective European Data deal with your UK SIM provider before going, as that alone can rack up a significant bill without you even knowing it.

The turning on and off of data roaming even in the UK is worth checking especially if you have a limited data allowance with your mobile plan, as quiet a lot of the Apps access your data allowance without you actually using/pressing them ?

You have been warned ?

Wi Fi 424776184 very well worth remembering.
Back to top Go down
vat man

Wi Fi 100010
vat man

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 13:04

I will be use spanish sim which has be purchased for me in spain by freind liveing there hopefully cheap as chips but understand wot you are saying been france lots time no the score with cost and internal roaming
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wi Fi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi Fi   Wi Fi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wi Fi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Motor-Homers :: Community :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: