Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 22:03

» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 16:29

» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 16:34

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Garjanco Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 14:48

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» New Member Hello to all
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Touring Germany tips?

Go down 
+6
Tugga
Leapy
KSH
rebbyvid
debbie
lorsim
10 posters
AuthorMessage
lorsim

Touring Germany tips? Empty
PostSubject: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 16:56

Have toured much of France for 4 years, so rough plan so far is Calais, Tournai, Namur, Diekirch, Treves/Trier, Cochem, Koblentz.
Have bought ACSI books, Bordatlas and Atlas.
Anywhere good to stop overnight between Calais and Tournai?
Suggestions of routes to choose/avoid, nice Aires and places to add/delete gratefully accepted.
Many thanks
Lorraine
Back to top Go down
debbie

Touring Germany tips? 50010
debbie

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 17:55

There are many Stellplatz along the Mosel, and a whole myriad of prices, types and facility's, and nearly all on the side of the Mosel. We used to stay on a car park in Koblenz, cos a police officer directed us to there! But last time I was there they were building a chair lift to the castle on the other side of the river, so the car park was no more. The best book we found was called Campergids, nothing in English, but simple enough to work out.
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 20:03

Thanks for the info. Not heard of that book, but will search for it. I'm a bit nervous at the thought of a new country to understand when I felt very comfy about France, so any encouragement greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

Touring Germany tips? 25010

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 20:42

just keep to the river if going down the Mosel plenty of stellplatz (some with electric) and all as good as France.Have got a blog but cant find time to finish it but as soon as i do will give you a link.
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 20:53

Heres a link to the unfinished blog which covers some of the Mosel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 22:13

That is so kind of you,thanks very much. Too tired now, but look forward to viewing it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
KSH

Touring Germany tips? 600010
KSH

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 2 Mar 2014 - 22:16

rebbyvid wrote:
Heres a link to the unfinished blog which covers some of the Mosel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I can't view it Rob, says my account doesn't have permission

Leapy

Touring Germany tips? Modera12
Leapy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 7:20

Hi Lorraine- we have "done " France for many years but now prefer Germany
most Stelplatz are very close to town centres and within walking distance.
There are many along the various rivers set in some beautiful places -the Moselle is particularly beautiful and easy to do
I found the Germans  very helpful - one even offered to lend me a lead when mine wouldn't reach. Many of them speech perfect English
The country was very clean with little rubbish and only some graffiti on the trains.
We parked on one stelplatz right in the meddle of town and I expected children to be round the vans -but saw none and the town hall clock even stopped chiming at 10.00pm till 7.00 am the next morning.
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 9:06

Very encouraging and has lessened my few of the unknown, thanks. Good to hear stellplatz near town centres like France and bells stop ringing at night. I was confident of the same in France until they rang every hour, all night, when the Aire was in the church car park!
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 9:09

Can't view the blog, Need permission
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 11:25

lorsim wrote:
Can't view the blog, Need permission
will check out why
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 11:26

Ken /Lorsim
can you do it tho the blogspot at the bottom of my signature?
Back to top Go down
Tugga

Touring Germany tips? 75010
Tugga

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 11:28

rebbyvid wrote:
Ken /Lorsim

Worked for me, went straight in - thanks  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rebbyvid

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 11:32

ok Cheryl   not finished the Germany trip yet and also another one with Polly in France and the Ireland trip to put on but will have to retire fully to finish them Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 12:06

rebbyvid wrote:
Ken /Lorsim
Yeah, that one works Rob

lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 15:58

rebbyvid wrote:
Ken /Lorsim
Yes, that worked.  Plenty to read there, so that's the rest of my afternoon booked!
I'm new to both posting here and Motorhomers and usually view on a tablet, but couldn't find the links to reply until I got to my PC.  Do hope this is the only posting in reply!
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

Touring Germany tips? 400010
whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 21:46

Got loads of info for Germany just depends on where and when, Mosel area already well covered by others.
Back to top Go down
KSH

KSH

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeMon 3 Mar 2014 - 21:53

lorsim wrote:

I'm new to both posting here and Motorhomers and usually view on a tablet, but couldn't find the links to reply until I got to my PC.  Do hope this is the only posting in reply!
Were you logged in? you can still read if your not but the post reply links will not show

lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 11:56

whistlinggypsy wrote:
Got loads of info for Germany just depends on where and when, Mosel area already well covered by others.
Plan is mid/end may for about 6 weeks and Mosel on list. We don't like driving more than about  2 hours and preferably less.  My driver is getting old so ambling would describe our touring!
Any tips of overnight stops between Calais tunnel and start of Model gratefully received.
Also, where to head when we reach Coblenz?
Thinking of going via Luxembourg as not been there yet, but very willing to listen to any advice on best routes.
Thanks and apologies for delayed response, but decorating home cut off broadband!
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 13:16

Hi lorsim, your as well looking on "searchforsites.co.uk" top left hand of the home screen, if you register (free) you will have a great many places to look at that will suit your requirements from free places, Aires, Stellplatz and Sosta's as well as C&CC and CC, private site CLs & CS's.

Absolutely packed with all the details and GPS locations, tel Nos and email and web addresses are all in there.

You will find the Mosel very busy at the time you are visiting but don't be put off as there are many Aires straddling the Mosel all the way from Trier to Koblenz, then you can turn right and follow the Rhine south to some lovely towns like Boppard and St Goar.

I will put some info on stops for you later on but do have a look at searchforsites.
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 14:21

The following maps are from Searchforsites and as they show it clearly gives you all the info to plan a route that would suit your requirements, the 1st map is halfway between Calais and Luxembourg, the 2nd is around Luxembourg, the 3rd is at Trier and a good starting point for a Mosel run, the 4th is around the Koblenz area.

So you can see if you go on the site you can plan exactly where you want to stay and travel from

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So go have a look and do your planning for a trip that you will most certainly enjoy as its a beautiful part of Europe.

Regards

Bob
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 16:18

whistlinggypsy wrote:
Hi lorsim, your as well looking on "searchforsites.co.uk" top left hand of the home screen, if you register (free) you will have a great many places to look at that will suit your requirements from free places, Aires, Stellplatz and Sosta's as well as C&CC and CC, private site CLs & CS's.

Absolutely packed with all the details and GPS locations, tel Nos and email and web addresses are all in there.

You will find the Mosel very busy at the time you are visiting but don't be put off as there are many Aires straddling the Mosel all the way from Trier to Koblenz, then you can turn right and follow the Rhine south to some lovely towns like Boppard and St Goar.

I will put some info on stops for you later on but do have a look at searchforsites.
Wow, thank you, that is so helpful, together with the examples you also posted.
I've joined, as you suggested, and am now knee deep in maps etc. so that's the rest of today gone!
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 16:56

You are very welcome lorism, anything else you need just ask.
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 18:53

Sorry to  hijack and change areas, but we intend to tour Germany this summer. Harz mountains first then Romantic Road into Bavaria, and will also visit Munich. Anyone got any "must see " places to recommend. Got Stellplatz book and atlas so intend to use quite a few - any advice on best ones to choose in that region of Germany ?
Steve + Kim
Back to top Go down
elldwin

Touring Germany tips? 100010
elldwin

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 19:06

We went to the Harz mounntains last year and on the way stayed on a stellplatz at Hoxter for several days which we really enjoyed. As we had our car with us we also went to Hamlyn and Hanover from the stelplatz. We planned on staying in Germany even longer but so many sites were under water we came back to France.
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2014 - 19:51

Love the Harz mountains beautiful scenery.
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Mar 2014 - 13:04

madeinyorkshire wrote:
Sorry to  hijack and change areas, but we intend to tour Germany this summer. Harz mountains first then Romantic Road into Bavaria, and will also visit Munich. Anyone got any "must see " places to recommend. Got Stellplatz book and atlas so intend to use quite a few - any advice on best ones to choose in that region of Germany ?
Steve + Kim
No apology needed - I'm interested in any thing about Germany so will read any replies you get.

As a change from asking for help, There is one tip I can offer to anyone who hasn't got a German Low Emission sticker yet. I scoured the web and saw various prices, but finally got it today for 5 euro. If anyone would like a copy of the address and letter I sent, please ask and I'll upload it here.
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Mar 2014 - 17:24

If you have a Euro 4 or 5 just go to any main dealer in Germany with your V5 and they will issue you with an Umwelt Plakette usually a Green 4 not sure if they are issuing Green 5s yet, I went to a Mercedes garage and I got a Yellow 3 (van is too old 2003) but they did it there and then and free of charge.

Somewhere on here are details for obtaining the Umwelt Plakette so do a search and I think the forms are there as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Mar 2014 - 18:45

Do we need a Low Emissions sticker for a PVC at 3350. Weight?
Back to top Go down
Quicksam

Touring Germany tips? 100010
Quicksam

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Mar 2014 - 19:13

Yes, if you intend to drive into any of the towns that are in the scheme.
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Mar 2014 - 19:19

madeinyorkshire wrote:

YES, you need a Umwelt Plakette for any petrol/diesel engine to enter many German cities and towns, you will need to fill in the forms and send of for one or get one when you arrive in Germany at a TUV (MOT) station or the main dealer for your make of vehicle.

Search for Umweltplakette towns and cities for a full list of where you can enter with the right Sticker, there are 3 colours RED, Yellow and Green, Green give you full access, Yellow limited access and RED forget it.
Back to top Go down
lorsim

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitimeSun 9 Mar 2014 - 9:05

madeinyorkshire wrote:
All vehicles need one. I sent 5euro note and letter to Cologne and got it in 2 weeks - cheapest I could find for non German vehicle. I got a green for a 2008 Adria Twin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Touring Germany tips?   Touring Germany tips? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Touring Germany tips?
Page 1 of 1